Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I like 'b', obviously

(from http://tradicionclasica.blogspot.com/2006/01/expression-aprs-moi-le-dluge-and-its.html)

The Expression “Après moi le déluge”, and Its Classical Antecedents

[Versión de esta anotación en español:
aquí]

The phrase “Après moi, le déluge” (“After me, the deluge") is attributed to the King of France Louis XV (1710-1774):

According to another interpretation, the phrase may have been coined not by the king himself, but by his most famous lover, Madame de Pompadour (1721-1764):

In any case, the phrase had a certain prophetic quality, if we interpret it post eventum as alluding to the breaking out of the French Revolution (1789-1799), which took place fifteen years after the king’s death and which cost the life of his grandson and successor, Louis XVI.

As a first approach to the saying, note that one is dealing with a nominal phrase, that is, without an explicit verb. The phrase can have two distinct, though related, meanings, according to the verb which we implicitly supply:

a) On the one hand, if we understand After me the deluge will come, the saying seems to imply, as an assertive affirmation: “After my reign, the nation will be plunged into chaos and destruction.”

b) The verb could also be understood as a subjunctive concession: After me, let the deluge come (it can come, but it makes no difference to me). In this second case, the speaker asserts that nothing that happens after his disappearance matters to him.

We will trace the classical antecedents of this famous expression, and I already anticipate that practically all of these antecedents will coincide more with notion b) than with a)...





--------------------------------------------

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Y1RyQ1ZucVhFd2ZIRGc9PQ">https://www.yousendit.com/download/Y1RyQ1ZucVhFd2ZIRGc9PQ>
Apres Moi -Regina Spektor



Be afraid of the lame
They'll inherit your legs
Be afraid of the old
They'll inherit your souls
Be afraid of the cold
They'll inherit your blood
Apres moi, le deluge
After me comes the flood

I must go on standing
I'm not my own, it's not my choice




Like I said, I like 'b'.

1 comment:

  1. heyy so i so didn't realize this was the tattoo you wanted. we learned about this quote in school. i really like the idea now that i understand it more. it also makes me really happy that you are on here blogging like it is your job =)

    ReplyDelete